Reading Heather Cox Richardson’s “Letters from an American” — (see: https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.com/p/january-22-2022 ) writing yesterday about Joe Biden’s first year in office, I’d like to focus upon Why Joe Biden could be a Total Failure in 2022 and 2024.
How has Joe Biden been successful in his first year?
1. confronted the Covid-19 crisis head-on, unlike DT,
2. turned the economy around — significantly — including getting several significant stimulus/appropriation bills passed by Congress unlike DT
3. stood up against denying that his election was “legitimate” — in contrast to DT
4. gotten U.S. troops out of Afghanistan, fulfilling the commitments of DT, ending the futile two decade war effort
5. been “decent” in his words and attitude — significantly differently from DT
How have the Republican’s responded?
They have successfully:
1. fought Biden’s efforts on Covid-19 — opposing mask mandates, significantly casting doubts about the efficacy of vaccinations — while DT and some others — selectively are supporting vaccinations
2. united against the continuation of the childcare tax credit and the potentially largest economic package to help the American people
3. created a wedge issue of inflation, which is controllable, and a logical short-term result of the economic success,
4. continued to deny the legitimacy of the 2020 election — despite no — substantive evidence of voter fraud
5. gotten — much state government passed legislation which will help Republicans (likely) win congressional control in 2022 (and beyond), through supporting the suppression of the votes of core Democratic Party constituencies,
6. changed the public perception of the troop withdrawal — emphasizing the rapid takeover by the Taliban — so it appears like a significant failure of Joe Biden,
7. made Joe Biden appear weak and unsuccessful so that his approval ratings have dropped significantly,
8. helped make the popular media imply that the Democrats will lose control of one or both houses of Congress in 2022 (which if successful in the House will end its investigation of January 6 and DT),